About Cass County
Logansport was settled circa 1826 and named for a half Shawnee soldier named James Renick-Logan, better known as “Captain Logan” who served as a scout for U.S. forces in the surrounding area during the War of 1812.
Logansport is home to a refurbished Dentzel Carousel. Of many carousels built by the Dentzel Carousel Company, the refurbished Dentzel Carousel is "one of the three earliest Dentzel menagerie carousels that are virtually intact". The carousel resides in Riverside Park on the banks of the Eel River. Riders may attempt to grab a brass ring while riding, this carousel game serves as the current basis for the local economic-development slogan “Logansport – Cass County: Grab the brass ring”. The Carousel is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a national landmark.
Logansport Community High School is the home of the oldest known high school mascot in Indiana, Felix the Cat. Three competing legends claim to tell its origin story, however all accounts agree that at some point between 1925 and 1926, Felix the Cat was brought into the high school's tradition.Logansport also has a diverse transportation history.
The Wabash and Erie Canal reached Logansport in 1837, contributing the “port” to Logansport's name, as in “Logan's port”. The Historic Michigan Road runs through Logansport. Michigan Road was one of the first roads in Indiana. It runs from Madison, Indiana (South), to Michigan City, Indiana (North).There are many different names for the road, including Michigan Road, State Road 29, and US 421. Also several different passenger and freight train routes also served Logansport. The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen and Ladies Auxiliary held its 1935 convention here. Logansport still has two active railroads and a switch yard, as well as a small refurbished depot downtown, although the much larger Pan Handle Depot was demolished in 1962.